254 replies to this topic

#1 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

A thread inspired by Chad Cox. And an inspiring idea fir sure. ************************************************* MOVING Video for Global LGBT Equality: Going All Out

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#2 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

June 5: LGBT Equality with Rep. Brian Sims
By Larry Kaspar on Jun 05, 2013

Rep. Brian Sims has a bill that bans discrimination because of sexual orientation in the areas of employment, housing, credit, and public accommodations.  Sims, elected in 2012 and Pennsylvania’s first openly-gay lawmaker, has a decades-long history of involvement in gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender causes.  During a recent floor debate, Sims said he was elected to uphold the constitution, not the bible.

Great video of Mr. Sims HERE. Sorry, no embed code.

#3 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

A very moving story from a ship-to-shore radioman in the U.S. Navy.

Here's What I Learned From 25 Years Fighting For LGBT Equality

#4 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Love me some Johnny...you must hold out for his final line! :love3:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#5 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Enjoyed this bit of news today...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#6 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

A Message from Gaga Posted on August 19, 2013 I’ve said this to the fans time and time again, whether it be in person or in tweets, as well as the through the message and campaign of the Born This Way Foundation. My mother and I are passionate about tolerance, acceptance, and kindness, and I’ve made it a point early in my career to make it known that this is what I stand for as an artist. While it may be difficult at times to hear the things that people say and write about me, or the nature of the industry that builds us up to tear us down, I feel the need to address you all here on behalf of the Born This Way Foundation. Sending threats of any kind, using hateful or abusive language, and the provoking of others on the internet is not supported by me or anything that I stand for. What I’ve seen transpiring is wrong and upsetting to me, and I’ve made it very clear how I feel about equality and compassion. I know how angry you feel sometimes, and I know that when they say things about me you feel that they are saying them about you as well. But music is about love, and is about sharing in the magic of theater. Although pop culture and society have become more negative and critical of the artist over the years, by engaging in this negativity you are allowing it to spread. I ask you to take a pledge with me to continue the change toward positivity, and to recognize that this behavior is wrong. We are stronger than this. We know what we stand for, and what we stand for is bravery. I know this because what I see on the internet is not what I see at my shows. People deal with their insecurities in many different ways. The anonymous nature of social media has made it easy for many to vent their anger by bullying others with no recourse or accountability. But this is not a healthy way to handle your emotions. This is exactly what my mother and I aim to teach with the Born This Way Foundation. Promoting skill building and mental health awareness that provides another outlet for your feelings. Put it in your art, put it in your music, put it in your creativity. Stop the Drama, Start the Music. I also ask that Twitter and other social media platforms support this effort to monitor and control abusive and threatening language, as I don’t know that I am powerful enough to stop it myself. Please represent me and our community with the values we cherish and live by. I love you.

#7 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,019 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Enjoyed this bit of news today...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks for the images of Wentworth, Chad. I didn't post any when I posted his announcement over in the news thread yesterday :hugs:

http://www.tylersroo...ic=5785&st=1980
My mind is software; I will reprogram it.
My body is a shell; I will modify it.
Death is a disease; I will cure it.
Extinction is ever-looming; I will fight it.

#8 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

[quote name='Smokeshadow' date='Aug 22 2013, 07:40 PM'] [quote name='ChadCox' date='Aug 22 2013, 10:18 PM'] Enjoyed this bit of news today...

Thanks for the images of Wentworth, Chad. I didn't post any when I posted his announcement over in the news thread yesterday :hugs:

http://www.tylersroo...ic=5785&st=1980 [/quote]
Yeah, I thought he was worth a post of the shots! :love3:
I had seen your post but had forgot that quickly because I'm so visual.
:thumbs up:

#9 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Islan Nettles, 21, Posted Imagewas taken off life support yesterday after what police describe as a brutal beating by a man shouting homophobic slurs in Harlem on Saturday night.

Nettles was out with several other transgender women at 11 p.m. Saturday when she ran across a group of men near West 148th Street and Eighth Avenue — directly across from the housing bureau's Police Service Area 6 precinct. When the man realized that Nettles and her friends were transgender, they began throwing punches and yelling homophobic slurs, cops said. Nettles, who also went by Vaughn Nettles and Alon Nettles, was taken to Harlem Hospital, but could not be revived, cops said. A 20-year-old man, whose identity was not immediately released, was arrested in connection with the attack, police said. He was initially charged with misdemeanor assault, but cops said they expected to upgrade the charges on Friday.

The new charges may include murder as a hate crime.

UPDATE: NYC Public Advocate (and mayoral candidate) Bill De Blasio has issued a statement.

“This is a horrifying and painful moment for our city. Ms. Nettles' murder was crime rooted in hate and ignorance. My heart goes out to her family and her friends as they come to terms with this inexplicable act of violence. Make no mistake: The denial of fundamental rights to transgender New Yorkers fuels the appalling violence this community continues to face. That must end. Delivering justice here requires we investigate this hate crime and hold the perpetrator or perpetrators fully responsible. But it also demands we finally affirm the rights of transgender New Yorkers as full and equal members of our city, state and country.”

UPDATE II: The NYC Anti-Violence Project will hold a vigil for Nettles on Monday night. Watch their Facebook page for the details to be announced.

#10 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Islan Nettles, 21, Posted Imagewas taken off life support yesterday after what police describe as a brutal beating by a man shouting homophobic slurs in Harlem on Saturday night.

Nettles was out with several other transgender women at 11 p.m. Saturday when she ran across a group of men near West 148th Street and Eighth Avenue — directly across from the housing bureau's Police Service Area 6 precinct. When the man realized that Nettles and her friends were transgender, they began throwing punches and yelling homophobic slurs, cops said. Nettles, who also went by Vaughn Nettles and Alon Nettles, was taken to Harlem Hospital, but could not be revived, cops said. A 20-year-old man, whose identity was not immediately released, was arrested in connection with the attack, police said. He was initially charged with misdemeanor assault, but cops said they expected to upgrade the charges on Friday.

The new charges may include murder as a hate crime.

UPDATE: NYC Public Advocate (and mayoral candidate) Bill De Blasio has issued a statement.

“This is a horrifying and painful moment for our city. Ms. Nettles' murder was crime rooted in hate and ignorance. My heart goes out to her family and her friends as they come to terms with this inexplicable act of violence. Make no mistake: The denial of fundamental rights to transgender New Yorkers fuels the appalling violence this community continues to face. That must end. Delivering justice here requires we investigate this hate crime and hold the perpetrator or perpetrators fully responsible. But it also demands we finally affirm the rights of transgender New Yorkers as full and equal members of our city, state and country.”

UPDATE II: The NYC Anti-Violence Project will hold a vigil for Nettles on Monday night. Watch their Facebook page for the details to be announced.

" Though [Paris] Wilson made bail this week on two counts of third-degree assault and one count of second-degree harassment, the Post reports that the Manhattan DA's office is reviewing the incident to see if Wilson can be charged with homicide. According to Christine Quinn, the DA and the police are also "investigating this as a potential hate crime."

Horrible horrible horrible. :big cry:

BTW, if you have Cinemax and you've never seen Flawless (Robert De Niro & Philip Seymour Hoffman) it's on Tuesday night. PSH plays a pre-op transgender and I dare say he does so Flawlessly.

It is one of my favorite movies. It's in the list I posted in the "What's on the telly" thread.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users