3 replies to this topic

#1 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:37 AM

I am in the process of trying to decide about certain specs on my new PC., in particular size and type of Hard Drive.  A while back I added a USB 3.0 - 2 TB external HD to my system, and I have been putting all my downloads on it, mainly for safe storage. There is still plenty of room on it so I plan to also use it for storage with my new PC.  I'm trying to decide which would be my best option when choosing a Hard drive for the new PC........a 1 TB HDD, or a 256 GB SSD. I'm not sure, but I would think the smaller, but faster, SSD, would be the best choice for the PC for faster downloads & overall operation, while continuing to use the large external HDD for storage.  That's fine for downloads, but would that also facilitate  faster speeds for playback via the PC, and for browsing the net??  Actually, would 256 GB SSD be enough?  All connections will be via USB 3.0.  Advise if you can. Thanks.    :wink: :)

#2 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

BTW, the PC in question here on this topic is the Alienware X51.  One seller has it with the 2 TB HDD, and another seller has it with the 256 GB SSD.only., with both comparatively priced. I am leaning towards the SSD one despite it's smaller drive size, largely for it's better performance advantages.   <_<

#3 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

BTW, the PC in question here on this topic is the Alienware X51.  One seller has it with the 2 TB HDD, and another seller has it with the 256 GB SSD.only., with both comparatively priced. I am leaning towards the SSD one despite it's smaller drive size, largely for it's better performance advantages.   <_<

You will NOT regret the SSD!

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#4 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,340 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

I think that Alienware has an additional slot for a second drive, right? Go for the SSD and throw your largest spinner in that second slot. Change defaults for all of your libraries (downloads, pics, video, documents & music) to that new spinner,keep nothing but the Windows 10 system on the SSD and you'll be in great shape. Make sure you wipe the spinner first if it has an OS on it. The larger SSDs out-preform smaller ones so that's an excellent size. The SSD will always provide better performance so no worries there. Your external may slow down the startup time, but who cares? Once it's up and running it will spin like a top. I have 2 externals and if I unplug them startup time is MUCH faster, but I really don't give a hoot about that. It's all about the "up and running" performance that I care about. You'll have extra space on your SSD and be tempted to use it, but my advise is to leave it alone. Don't ever defrag it. Let that OS scatter all over the place, they work better that way.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users