56 replies to this topic

#1 hogleg

hogleg

I shop at Walmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

I have recently decided to start playing sports again in an effort to fight the battle of the bulge (not the good kind). It was going alright until last week when I attempted to play tennis. I couldn't run at all; just limp around. I went to the doctor for x-rays and was told that I am fine!! How come every time I'm sure I'm dying my doctor tells me I'm perfectly healthy?? Some friends have given me their advice on how to deal with this pain and I am looking for more. Anyone have to deal with something similar. I don't want to stop playing as I was starting to feel like I was in much better shape.
It was all very Queer...but Queerer things were yet to come.
-from Sunset Boulevard

#2 LaRoux

LaRoux

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

Since you said limping, I am assuming the pain is in the leg(s). Number one - stop raising them in the air so much Number two - stretch, you would be amazed how the tendons tighten as you reach the beyond twink age Number three - weight training, light weights, for the legs will help muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bone in the long run. I recently had a loverly drunken broad fall off a barstool right on to my left knee. After nearly two months, I am finally able to walk without a brace. But I still can't bend it all the way without pain, certain moves send a stabbing pain right up my leg. But I am starting to do some stretches to loosen what has tightened. (oooh, sounds kind of kinky.) As to simply coping with getting older - which I thought this thread was about - read the other threads. I find alcohol very helpfull. :laugh:

#3 pxxxtr

pxxxtr

My butler's up the north pole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Grin & bear it.

" Veritas dignior est et excellentior et fortior "

#4 crazyho

crazyho

Ham is MY girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

Since you said limping, I am assuming the pain is in the leg(s).

Number one - stop raising them in the air so much
Number two - stretch, you would be amazed how the tendons tighten as you reach the beyond twink age
Number three - weight training, light weights, for the legs will help muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bone in the long run.

I recently had a loverly drunken broad fall off a barstool right on to my left knee. After nearly two months, I am finally able to walk without a brace. But I still can't bend it all the way without pain, certain moves send a stabbing pain right up my leg. But I am starting to do some stretches to loosen what has tightened. (oooh, sounds kind of kinky.)

As to simply coping with getting older - which I thought this thread was about - read the other threads. I find alcohol very helpfull. :laugh:

Roxy,

if i win any money....i'm sending your ass too "treatment" for your "condition" the nice man said "getting older" not "getting drunk" :rofl:

#5 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

I can still ride my bikes and that's as close to sports activity as I need to get. Last night, however, I had my "legs in the air" just a little too long and today I've got a back ache. Should I cut back on this activity or is the prescription more of the same?? :unsure: :lol: :lol: Cat ;)

#6 Scarborough

Scarborough

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:44 PM

More of ther same, Kitty - just try out different positions!!! :hugs:

#7 zonato

zonato

ZONATO -- Under Construction....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

I can still ride my bikes and that's as close to sports activity as I need to get. Last night, however, I had my "legs in the air" just a little too long and today I've got a back ache. Should I cut back on this activity or is the prescription more of the same??  :unsure:  :lol:  :lol:

Cat  ;)

This is not medical advice, but I say go for it. :thumbs up: :thumbs up:
I have learned to never say never. There are fun new things to experience.

#8 Roamer1

Roamer1

My cute butler "massages" me. Mmmm.....!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Go for it, Catman! It's the only way to "get a leg up on the competition"......... :D
Peace.

#9 bnabud

bnabud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

I am convinced that medical schools really don't spen much time on sports medicine and as a result most doctors really don't know how to recognize sports injuries or treat them.

#10 ottawaian

ottawaian

Moving on .....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

An option which I took at Ottawa University Medical School was Sports Medicine aimed at doctors, nurses, physio therapists, health care professionals etc. But it was not a manditory course for everyone in Medicine. I still remember these key words. ICE or RICE Ice Compression Elevation Rest Ice Compression Elevation Ottawaian ;)

Edited by ottawaian, 03 November 2006 - 08:09 AM.

Ottawaian

Am I the still the first thing on your mind when you wake up......

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users