43 replies to this topic

#11 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

I actually plan to burn an ISO and load it to an SSD on my one computer and just use my spinner for data. I've been told that this will be doable but I'm still researching everything I can find in anticipation. I also back up to an external spinner and a usb portable (in addition to cloud storage). The good thing is I'll have a whole year to play with it before the free updates are discontinued. I'm planning to buy a Win 10 laptop from the MS store later because I no longer want to deal with cleaning systems and what not. I can now afford to just buy what I want already like I want it and the MS store special edition systems come stripped and clean and ready to scream. Just the way we like our landscapers, eh? :love3:

Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.

#12 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

Do you use an SSD now? If not, you'll be amazed at the speed it brings. Write your ISO to a USB Flash drive and it will decrease the Windows initial load time dramatically. When you do the initial load don't plug in ANYTHING that you don't absolutely need. You'll only need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, the SSD and one USB jack for the memory stick and that's it. I always plug in my Ethernet cable too. Connect the spinner and external(s) AFTER you load Windows. Don't forget to redirect the location of all 4 of your Libraries (Docs, Photos, Videos & Music) and your Download folder to your spinner. You should do that immediately after you get it all up and running with everything plugged in. After that, it's HANDS-OFF the C drive from then on. You should almost never have a need to open it for anything. Other than the occasional program dingle berries that get stuck in the Program Files and/or Program Data folders.

Windows should do this automatically but check to make sure you are not creating restore points any more and turn off indexing. That indexing routine is the bitch that eats your PC's brain and is not needed with an SSD, not even for the spinner. Just say NO! Oh, and also make sure that windows is set to not ever defrag your C drive.

Good luck, you goina' love it!

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#13 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

I've done similar with partitions and multiple spinners, but not SSDs. I have a system with C on an SSD though and YES, so very MUCH worth it. Thanks for the pointers and reminders! :love2:

#14 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

Well I have done it. I reloaded my desktop and am now the proud owner of a "Get Windows 10" icon on my task bar. I'll sleep a little better tonight.

#15 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

Well I have done it. I reloaded my desktop and am now the proud owner of a "Get Windows 10" icon on my task bar. I'll sleep a little better tonight.

wonder why/what the fuck? anyhoo, grats lovely :claps:

#16 Scott

Scott

You want some of this??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,966 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

I still don't know if I should click on that damn little icon thing on my task bar.....lol

If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?

#17 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

I still don't know if I should click on that damn little icon thing on my task bar.....lol

sure you can!

#18 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

You should get it Scotty. It's a one time free offer that only lasts for a year. There are no hidden costs to those that snach it up during the free offer period. I think that to most people it all sounds too good to be true, but it really is as simple as it sounds. Windows 10 isn't free to just anyone. Only the qualifying Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs (emphasis on P) now in existance. If the company you work for wants to upgrade to Windows 10, they will pay for it.  If someone BUILDS a new PC, they will pay for Windows 10. People still on Windows 98 will not get the free update. Those on Lunix and any other OS will not get a free copy. But if you meet the requirements, you get it and it is yours, free, forever. MS is trying to gain back a substantial market share that they lost over the past several years. Remember how awful Vista was? Windows 7 brought some of those people back, but then Windows 8 lost all of those and more. 10 will have a new browser. IE is history. And who amoung us will shed any tears over that? Windows Media Center goes away, meh, I never used it. I use Windows Media Player for everything. Security is improved and they are moving to the new Windows Store (not sure what it is called) for all of the apps like Apple and Andrioid has done all along. That will dramatically cut down on viruses. Do yourself a favor and ignore the fear mongers you'll hear over the next month and take it. My dad always said, if someone offers you something for free, take it.

Besides, you sill have your current load disk to go back to if you just hate if for any reason, right? Right?

#19 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:43 PM

He's got it Pastol. He was asking could he click on the icon now or just wait until something happens. :love3:

btw, loved the sentiment for the 8.1 shitbox you shared in the other thread... :haha:

#20 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

One week away people. I'm getting excited. I'm doing my happy happy dance.

giphy.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users