#21 snoopy

snoopy

I shop at Bloomingdales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Smoked Tomato Soup

This one takes a while, but the flavor is well worth it!  I usually smoke the tomatoes the day prior, and then put them in the fridge until I'm ready to make the soup.

Sounds delicious, snoopy! I've copied into my recipies & will try it for sure!

Thanks buddy!!

:hugs: :thumbs up:

scarbie

Thanks. I had the recipe for a long time but hesistated making it because I'm not a big tomato soup fan. This soup, however, is very tasty.

snoopy, off to make some Neiman Marcus cookies!

Attached Images

• letter_colormehungry.gif

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.

#22 LaRoux

LaRoux

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

Baked Lemon Chicken 4 chicken breasts halves (with or without bone) 1 small onion finely chopped 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice Put the chicken in a baking dish, sprinkle with the onion, dill, lemon rind, and nutmeg. Mix lemon juice with 2/3 cup cold water. Pour over the chicken. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375F (figure out the C yourself). Bake chicken, uncovered, for 45 minutes, basting with the pan juices. Of course mine will be very tender because I pounded the meat before hand (and afterward today) oops, too much information :laugh:

#23 LaRoux

LaRoux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

By request . . .

Chicken-Okra Gumbo

1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste
1/4 cup of oil
2 1/2 pounds of fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
(or 2 16-ounce cans of okra)
2 onions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of flour
1 quart of water

Season chicken with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper: brown in oil in a large, heavy pot. Remove chicken pieces as they brown.

Add okra, onions, and garlic to the pot and spinkle flour ove the top; stir constantly and cook over low heat until oils starts to rise to the top, about 20 minutes.

Add chicken and water and simmer unti chicken is tender and the gumbo is the consistency of a cream soup, about one hour.

Serve over cooke rice in soup bowls.

#24 LaRoux

LaRoux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

or . . .

Zydeco Gumbo

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - chopped
1/2 pound pork sausage links, thinly sliced
1 cup olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 quarts chicken broth
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
6 stalks celery, diced
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
2 tablespoons chopped fresh red chile peppers
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional)

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Drain chicken and sausage, and set aside.

In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.

Gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, and mix in celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, red chile peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.
Mix chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.

#25 LaRoux

LaRoux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

or . . . .

Chicken Andouille Gumbo

12 cups water
3 pounds chicken parts
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds okra
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon file powder (optional)

Combine water and chicken in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Using tongs, transfer chicken to strainer and cool, saving cooking liquid. Remove meat from bones in pieces.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add okra and cook until no longer sticky, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes; set aside.

Stir flour and remaining 1/2 cup oil in heavy large Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Add 4 cups reserved chicken cooking broth, okra, andouille sausage, tomatoes with their juices, bell pepper, celery, garlic, bay leaf, salt, thyme, basil, cayenne, and pepper. Cover partially and simmer until thickened, about 1 1/2 hours.

Spoon off any fat from surface of gumbo. Add chicken to gumbo and simmer gently 15 minutes. (If preparing ahead, cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.) Mound rice in shallow bowls if desired. Ladle gumbo over and serve.

Sprikle/stir in the file powder just before served or it will turn stingy.

#26 moondoggy

moondoggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:18 PM

Ooooh Roxy the gumbo recipes all sound divine. Thank you :hugs:
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it".

#27 moondoggy

moondoggy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

I tried this recipe the other day and it makes a wonderful cake and is so easy Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake 1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe yellow cake mix 1 pkg 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding 2 tbsp cocoa powder 1/2 cup sugar 8 oz sour cream 3/4 cup vegetable oil 3/4 cup water 4 eggs 1 1/2 cups mini semi sweet chocolate chips Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first four ingredients in a mixer until thoroughly blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, oil, water, and eggs until thoroughly blended. Turn on mixer and gradually add the wet mixture to dry mixture, stopping halfway through to scrape sides of bowl. Do not overmix. Once mixture is combined, fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased (Pam) fluted bundt pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow cake to cool for twenty minutes.
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it".

#28 zonato

zonato

ZONATO -- Under Construction....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:21 PM

I think I might be able to try the first gumbo recipe as soon as it turns cool outside. It looks easy enough. I am really really sure I don't have something called file powder. Just what part of the grocery store has such a thing? :huh:
I have learned to never say never. There are fun new things to experience.

#29 LaRoux

LaRoux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,833 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:40 PM

I am really really sure I don't have something called file powder. Just what part of the grocery store has such a thing? :huh:

Chances are you don't, and neither will your grocery store. :o

If they do it will be in the aisle with the bottled spices, but it is not a popular spice, and therefor not stocked in a lot of stores. It is also optional. (I don't like the taste and never use it.)

Filé powder, pronouned "FEE-lay", is made of ground sassafras leaves, native to the southern U.S. Filé was introduced to Cajun settlers by the Choctaw Indians who helped the settlers survive in the wilderness.

Filé powder should not be added until the very end of cooking; boiling filé will cause the whole pot of gumbo to become stringy and gummy. Even better is to add the filé to each individual bowl of gumbo (about ¼ teaspoon stirred into each bowl), especially if you plan on having leftovers to reheat later.

Most people do not use Okra and Filé together in the same gumbo, because it will make the gumbo thicker than usual. BTW, did you know Okra was introduced in the U.S. by African slaves? In Umbundu (a language spoken in Angola, where many Southern slaves came from) the word for okra is "ochingombo", which was eventually abridged to "gombo." And the Choctaw word for sassafras is "kombo."

#30 xlntsx

xlntsx

My butler is very confused right now.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

:D A simple apple strudel: serves: 8 prep: 15 minutes (or so) back: 375 for 35 minutes (give or take a couple) 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries 1/2 cup boiling water 3 Fuji apples (1 1/2 pounds total) peeled, cored and chopped) 1/4 cup honey 1.4 TABLESPOON all-purpose flour 1/4 TEASPOON cinnamon (plus some more for dusting) 1/8 TEASPOON ground nutmeg 8 sheets phyllo dough. 1. Heat oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil or coat with spray. In a small bowl, combine cranberries and water. Leave it alone for 5 minutes, then drain. 2. In a large(er) bowl, combine apples, softened cranberries, honey, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss until combined. 3 Unroll phyllo on work surface, cover with a damp towel. Separate one sheet and place on clean surface. Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray and dust with a little ground cinnamon. Place another sheet on top; coat with spray and dust. Repeat this ritual ( :) ) 6 more times (for a total of 8 sheets)..spraying and dusting. 4. Spoon filling along a long side of phyllo, 3 inches in from edge, leaving 1 inch at either end. Fold both short sides (ends) over filling. Fold 3-inch-wide long strip over filling; roll up jelly-roll style. Place, seam side down on baking sheet. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with cinnamon. 5. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, until nicely browned. Let cool on rack for at least 20 minutes. slice with serrated knife. This is best served the same day as cooked -- in other words, it's not really better the 2nd day. It really works well ... enjoy!!!! >HUGE bear hug< ....b :hugs:
I consider sex a misdemeanor -
the more I miss, de meanor I get! Attributed to Mae West (questionable)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users