32 replies to this topic

#1 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Can Windows 10 be added to Windows 7 Home Premium?? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:  :)

#2 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

Another question...........is it safe or wise to buy a refurbished PC??

#3 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:19 PM

Thought I'd utilize Mr. Kitty's Windows 10 thread to post this fascinating illustration of all versions of Windows OS from Windows 1.0 thru Windows 10 :thumbs up:  :thumbs up:  :thumbs up:  :thumbs up:  :thumbs up:

http://www.zdnet.com...ts-landmark-os/

My mind is software; I will reprogram it.
My body is a shell; I will modify it.
Death is a disease; I will cure it.
Extinction is ever-looming; I will fight it.

#4 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

I'm still using Windows 7 HP, and I keep getting pop-up reminders from Microsoft to install Windows 10. In fact I've seen info to the effect that it will eventually install automatically whether I want it or not. As things stand I'm completely happy to continue using Windows 7 as it's what I.m used to, and I just don't want to learn a new system at this point in time. An item showed up on my Yahoo home page which shows how to download a program to stop Windows 10 from installing. It's called GWX Control Panel.  OTOH, perhaps there are those here that think I SHOULD upgrade to Windows 10 (??). Ken thinks I should since Microsoft will eventually stop supporting Windows 7 anyway.  Any opinions??   :huh:

#5 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:28 PM

It's not drastically different but there are definitely differences in the details of things. Initially I had little to no problems but a few glitches here or there since. Overall I'm use to it now. The one major gripe I have with 10 is that my machine wakes from sleep in the middle of the night even though I've gone through every tweak and researched my butt off trying to figure out how to stop it. I now have to power off to prevent it which means a cold start every day. :(

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#6 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Chad - I'm curious. . .is a cold start a problem for you?  I shut my system off each night and re-start it first thing in the morning every day.  For one, it saves on electricity use when I'm not using it; and, second,  why leave it on?

#7 Tyler

Tyler

Bandit was the love of my life.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

I shut my system down at night too.

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 either and get those damn popups almost daily too or the blue thing clear across screen which is even more annoying. I hate all this auto updating and background shit that goes on on computers and phones nowadays and do my best to shut it down on my stuff. I have thwarted Windows from upgrading for a couple of years now - it cries at me once in awhile that I tread dangerously but I am not a surfer and always use sites I know or referrals I trust.

man-shotgun-guarding-his-property-229823

"The only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves." — James Brabazon

sig.jpg

#8 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

What's interesting to me about my Windows 7 system is that I have yet to be notified by Microsoft that I can upgrade to Win 10.  Nothing in the system tray, no pop-ups, no "automatic" update, no nothin'  :confused5:  Wonder why?

#9 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

Chad - I'm curious. . .is a cold start a problem for you?  I shut my system off each night and re-start it first thing in the morning every day.  For one, it saves on electricity use when I'm not using it; and, second,  why leave it on?

No, cold start is not a problem and the ONLY solution; however, what 10 wants is for you to let them wake your system for updates during the night. I LOVE Tyler's pic of sitting guard. :haha:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#10 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

What's interesting to me about my Windows 7 system is that I have yet to be notified by Microsoft that I can upgrade to Win 10.  Nothing in the system tray, no pop-ups, no "automatic" update, no nothin'  :confused5:  Wonder why?

I'd say be careful what you ask for.  But seriously, 10 is great. Just a serious adjustment and learning curve reminiscent of bygone days of transition of 3.1 to 95! :haha:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users