#1 Tyler

Tyler

Bandit was the love of my life.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,712 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about anti-depressants. My new doctor prescribed me one and I picked it up but I'm too afraid to take it from all the horror stories I've heard from a couple of people I know that have experienced them. I don't want my personality to change but I do want to feel better but am wondering if my focus should be on a more natural path as I'm always averse to taking pharma drugs. My doctor wants to see me again in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to arm myself with as much information as I can.

Thanks,
Tyler

"The only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves." — James Brabazon

sig.jpg

#2 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

I had a brief encounter with prozac.  I told my dr. at the time I was having trouble sleeping and that's what he gave me.  Put me in a fog all day, but didn't help the sleep at all.  Told him so, and he said, 'It's not supposed to help sleep'!  I changed doctors.  

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

#3 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,795 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

They can make a guy impotent.

ceWqEyN.gif

But keep in mind they take about 2 weeks to really kick in and show any of the real desired effect.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#4 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

Well sir, as you know, I'm "in the business" and I can assure you that WHATEVER the effect it will not be permanent. If you and your doc agree to give something a go, it's just that. People and programs don't work, you work people and programs. The more a doc is interested in your experience and the more you connect your experience with her/his expertise, the more likely you'll have a good outcome. Lastly, for here, a mood stabilizer is generally expected to be "temporary" and even for serious matters should not take more than a max of 3 years while learning, collecting, practicing new coping behaviors and life/recovery changes to the degree that weaning from the chemical assistance becomes not only reasonable, but preferable. There is no substitute that will ever compare to finding what works for you, even if it includes meds. Love you very much and miss you often. :love3:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#5 timr

timr

I shop at garage sales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Personally, I would avoid the ones like Effexor that only take a few days to take full effect. You can read about many horror stories about getting off such fast-acting meds on the internet. On the other hand, Prozac takes longer to take effect but is COMPARATIVELY EASY to stop if it does not work for you or you no longer need it. For depression, it has been found that several ten minute walks every day will often help a lot... more physical labor too, if that suits you. Hope this helps. 

#6 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:29 PM

Personally, I would avoid the ones like Effexor that only take a few days to take full effect. You can read about many horror stories about getting off such fast-acting meds on the internet. On the other hand, Prozac takes longer to take effect but is COMPARATIVELY EASY to stop if it does not work for you or you no longer need it. For depression, it has been found that several ten minute walks every day will often help a lot... more physical labor too, if that suits you. Hope this helps. 

I totally agree! AND there are AMAZING effects with nutrition. Experimenting with low carb and ketosis has had amazing results for many! :love3:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#7 fasteddy

fasteddy

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

The only experience I've had with those is with Mom, she took 2.5mg Valium and was usually in a pretty good mood as long as I remember while she was taking it despite here worsening disability over the years I took care of her.   I found the hard way that the prescribed propranolol and tamsulosin when mixed with my weed use didn't always produce a cheerful buzz.   Fortunately the stress related symptoms causing the need for those meds disappeared with retirement along with the zombie effect the two beta blockers brought on ......I mention this only cause many meds tend to react to others sometimes in a less that positive way.   I'm gonna guess that mixing todays new mind drugs with todays nuclear powered weed has been the study of a couple research papers already.....

Can't wait to put up the campsite as soon as it warms a little, I'm always busy there so don't have time for depression .........plus there are my brothers boat and my own to keep me busy.  I'm certainly not prescribing just describing but I know my mood is much better after the exercise of walking around our new downtown green and park  about a block from the apartment building.  A couple of hits of Grandaddy Purple just before make the walk and exercise downright pleasant at 66 y/o lol,  and encourages me to smile and remind folks to write themselves a note to have fun somewhere in their busy day. ....... :bumblebee2:     awkward hugs buddy.........

#8 fasteddy

fasteddy

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

I totally agree! AND there are AMAZING effects with nutrition. Experimenting with low carb and ketosis has had amazing results for many! :love3:

Amazing how much paying a little attention to more fiber for a better am bowel evacuation improves the spirit also......or is that just  old fart stuff..........

#9 Tyler

Tyler

Bandit was the love of my life.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,712 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the great advice boys, I am going back to talk with my doctor soon and will do as Chad suggested and tell him how I'm feeling and work with him. I had already read the good advice about walking outside daily and I already do keep up my exercise routine and that does help. It's mornings that kill me. :P

"The only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves." — James Brabazon

sig.jpg

#10 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,795 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:41 AM

and I already do keep up my exercise routine and that does help.  :P

Yes, I can tell. It is wrong to tell you that I want to do very nasty things to you that you would like very much?  

1475811502985.gif

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users