25 replies to this topic

#1 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

Just a note to let you all my PC is not operational, and I will be off the forum until I either get it fixed or get a new one. I posted this with my tablet. Problem is Windows will not start. It might be fixable, but I am leaning towards a new one. Hope to be back to normal in a few days.

#2 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

Note........I found the Lenovo H530-57327876 desktop at Frys. Great specs including Windows 7 HP. Ken is against anything new because of my uncertain longevity and I do see his point, but I was having a number of other problems even before the Windows breakdown. It all depends on repair costs if the current one is fixable. Stay tuned.

#3 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Cat, has Ken tried Startup Repair with the load disk? Have you guys tried doing a restore? Obvious questions I know, but I can't imagine replacing a machine because Windows won't start. It's a common problem that is easily fixed. Hell, if all else fails, you can always just format the drive and reload Windows and you're good to go.

But hey, if you want a new PC, I say go for it dude. Longevity be damned! That's a an amazing, as in disappointing, consideration IMHO.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#4 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

We dropped it off at a repair shop for a trouble shoot or diagnosis this morning. Whatever they find wrong with it can probably be fixed reasonably. I'm guessing there will be other things to fix as well, including adding more RAM. Waiting now for a callback on diagnosis and cost. Will advise.

#5 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

BTW, we did try fixing the Windows access problem via the PC, but nothing worked. I think there are corrupted files if that makes any sense.

#6 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:57 AM

Still have not received a report from the repair shop on my current PC, but. should hear something today. Just in case I've checked around to see what is on the market that has Windows 7. To my surprise there are quite a few PCs available with Window 7 from various retailers. Many, however, fall into the refurbished category. That certainly would save a lot of money, but I've always been afraid of getting something faulty or that wouldn't hold up. Has anyone had experience in this category and can advise?? Besides Windows 7 , I must have HDMI and it must be wireless. Other specs are negationable but the more RAM the better. More later.

#7 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Still have not received a report from the repair shop on my current PC, but. should hear something today. Just in case I've checked around to see what is on the market that has Windows 7. To my surprise there are quite a few PCs available with Window 7 from various retailers. Many, however, fall into the refurbished category. That certainly would save a lot of money, but I've always been afraid of getting something faulty or that wouldn't hold up. Has anyone had experience in this category and can advise?? Besides Windows 7 , I must have HDMI and it must be wireless. Other specs are negationable but the more RAM the better. More later.

Not really, but a small piece of advise: I bought my mom a refurbished. She's still using it and it works great. Keep in mind she really is the "Little old lady from Pasadena"  with respect to her PC. But she likes to play Bejeweled. The on-board video card in her PC is pushed to the limits while playing that game. I have a pretty good idea of your usage, so ,my advise is don't forget to make sure you get one with a power-horse of a video card. It is easy to forget. A good CPU, plenty of memory, enough USB3 ports and all that are easy to remember. Just make sure to get something that also has a good graphics card. To me it is the most confusing component to purchase. I prefer the NVIDIA cards,but lots manufacturers make NVIDIA cards. Mine are made by MSI and I'm real happy with them, but there are plenty of others out there that are just as good. Give that some attention when looking. An SLI setup (2 cards that work together) is excellent if you can find one.

Refurbished from a reputable dealer is often a good idea. Some even offer warranted ones. Just look closely at all of the components.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#8 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Good graphics cards often also require a bigger/better power supply as well.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

#9 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

I finally heard from the repair shop and access to Windows has been restored. It seems there were some corrupted files as I predicted. As Ken suggested to me I'm having them add an additional 4 GB of memory for a total of 8 GB. Hopefully that will fix all my problems, but frankly I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Will be picking it up sometime tomorrow (Sat.). Total cost will be around $115.......not too bad if it avoids the cost of something new.

#10 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Note: In some ways this breakdown with my desktop has been a blessing in disguise. It has forced me to use my iPad Air in ways. I really hadn't planned on........such as posting on this forum. I can access the net with the tablet, and I am even set up to display on the TV via HDMI. Operating the Apple touch screen for that, however, is a slow learning process for me. Everything I try to do is a painstaking process full of mistakes and "start overs". Ha ha. Given enough time and practice I could probably replace much of what I do with the PC by using just the tablet. I'll reserve that possibility for absolute necessity situations though. Ha.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users