25 replies to this topic

#11 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

I'm BAAACK!!  Got my desktop back and it seems to be running like new (SO FAR!!)  I'm having a little trouble getting signed in to the forum because I had to get a new password for using the tablet. I did finally get signed in now, but the new password is 15 numbers and letters which are impossible to remember. I emailed Tyler for something simpler, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise everything is running smooth. Total bill for the repair job was $118 so I feel that was reasonable. That included $49 for adding 4 GB of memory.  BTW, a clerk at BestBuy told me Microsoft was planning to come out with Windows 10.........are they skipping Windows 9?? Advise if you've heard anything.  Ta ta for now.

P.S. Smileys are not working for me now.

#12 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

I forgot to mention that the technician told me that the inside of my PC was full of dirt and dust and could have been clogging the fan causing the unit to overheat. Anyway, that's been cleaned up now, but that's something I suppose I should check periodically.

#13 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

No, my PC isn't down again........in fact it's running a lot better since I had it serviced and added 4 GB of memory. Some annoying quirks have come up, however, that weren't there before. I am now getting lots of "popup windows" from my Norton security every time it blocks something. I also get frequent Norton windows telling me I have to restart my PC. This wasn't happening before. These things are annoying, but I can live with them. Something else has come up, however, that has me puzzled. Sometimes when I'm online the PC starts making an intermittent sound or noise that sounds like the sound when you add an external attachment to a PC........sort of like "rrruPP", know what I mean? The sound is repeated every minute or two, even when I'm just on my desktop. The only way I can get rid of it is to restart my PC. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does I get very frustrated. Does anyone have a clue what's causing this??

Cat

#14 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

The techie would salivate reading this post! ALL of it easily "fixable" and NOT to be simply endured. :)

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#15 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:50 PM

Cat, my advise to anyone that has Norton is to get rid of it. Completely uninstall it using the Norton Removal Tool. It is an awful and bloated tool that is more trouble and money than it is worth. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and what all of the geek boys are using these days. If you are running Windows 8 on the system in question, you already have it, so no need for Norton anyway.

As for the "rrruPP" sound, most likely one of your externals is not connected tightly. That's the easiest and first thing to check. With the PC completely powered down, try re-seating all of your cables on the back of your PC, then re-seat each connector on each device that is not hard-wired on the device end. Push each one in securely and make sure the cable is not being pulled tight by anything. I've had this same thing happen with my printer and it would inadvertently disconnect then reconnect without provocation, always making that sound through the speakers.

Good luck.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#16 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

Pastol,

Your advice re Norton Security makes sense to me, but it just so happens that it was installed (and paid for) via Ken's Norton account. He gets involved every time it needs to be renewed. He keeps chiding me that I wouldn't need Norton if I was using Apple equipment. :biggrin:   Let's just say removing it completely is "domestically sensitive". :lol:  I will take the subject up with him, however, and see what he says. :wink: :)  As for my PC connections, the only things I have connected to the PC are the TV via HDMI, and my mouse and keyboard via USB. Those connections seem to be okay. <_<

#17 Tyler

Tyler

Bandit was the love of my life.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

I had the same 'add or remove' chime going off and on, on a Windows 8 laptop and it turned out to be my mouse was causing it - a new wireless mouse fixed the problem. Your mouse could be reacting to something metallic?

Also, try your sound settings by clicking on sound icon in task bar and see what's going on in there. One other thing might be your TV... is it a "smart" TV?

Anything attaching itself wirelessly to your PC, like a printer?

"The only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves." — James Brabazon

sig.jpg

#18 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

Both my new keyboard and mouse ARE wireless. Ken says for me to check my batteries for these, so that's my next move. I'll put in new batteries in both and see if that makes any difference. Stay tuned. :biggrin:

Cat

#19 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,350 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I'm going to hijack this old thread to give all y'all an update on my computer problems this past week.

First off, Monday PM, my power went off for about 5 minutes (don't know why) and when it came back on, and my computer rebooted, I had no mouse.  Regardless of which of several mice I tried, nothing worked, so I figured it was corrupted files somewhere.  So, I took the PC to my service tech.  He told me that it would probably be ready Tuesday PM.

Long story short, he called me late Tuesday and told me that the hard drive had several damaged sectors and that he was doing what he could to recover data and software.  He would install new hard drive and recovered "stuff" and have the PC back to me sometime Friday.  So, I picked up PC on Friday.  Tech told me he had probably recovered 85% to 90% of my data, but had limited success on the software.  So, anyway, I've been re-installing software and/or downloading and re-installing software since then.  Most of the data seems to be there and OK.

Re-installed Norton first, then Quicken.  Important software now running fine.  Secondary software in process. . .WordPerfect, MS Word, Steam, Real Player, Adobe flash, Adobe reader.  Steam games to come next as soon as I can get access to them  :angry2:   Other games after that.

Why do software companies make it so difficult to re-install software after a hard drive crash.  It should be as simple as confirming purchase date, or logging into software site and re-downloading.  But, no. . .they've got to have that 16 to 24 digit security key re-entered into their software download process.  I mean, who writes down and keeps track of the software keys once you've installed software originally.  :bang:   And, if the software is out-of-date, they're going to try and encourage you to update to latest bells and whistles, even though the software you've been using is good and you don't need the latest and greatest.

So, the process goes on  :wacko: 

Thank goodness for lap tops so I could keep up with Scotty's broken bones, and Pastol's ogling of Scotty's bones and BJ's gorgeous landscapes  :hugs: 

My mind is software; I will reprogram it.
My body is a shell; I will modify it.
Death is a disease; I will cure it.
Extinction is ever-looming; I will fight it.

#20 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

What a PITA! All for nothing. You use Apple, right? Doe it have any kind of cloud backup capabilities? Or can you write what we in the PC world call an Image Copy to an external? I donno anything at all about Apple, but there has to be some way to back up your dive so that the whole thing can be recovered rather than one program at a time.

Good luck Smoke. We've all been there. Not fun.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users