No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

#822 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

Interesting colorizations - they actually look pretty great!  And some of the crimes, well - Mr. sodomy from Spokane could visit me any time!

They have the title on the FB post wrong, it's "54 Vintage Mugshots Brought To Life In Stunning Color".

*** Link Here ***

#823 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:51 PM

Bob Sykes BBQ was the favorite family destination on our every-other-year family reunions in Bessemer, Alabama.  We'd take up a few tables as we'd have Aunt's, Uncle's, and Cousins a-plenty with us.  First place I had BBQ, and will always be, in my mind at least, the best.  They ship sauce, and I've ordered it before - but it's not the same unless it's on their pork and a with a dining room full of family.  Yesterday Bob Sykes BBQ had a great spot on a Cooking channel show - if you watch, they're in the 2nd half (about 13:00).  Makes me want to road trip to Alabama just to have a bbq pork sandwich.  But I take mine with slaw!

*** Link Here ***

#824 ChadCox

ChadCox

Remembering Keo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

Bob Sykes BBQ was the favorite family destination on our every-other-year family reunions in Bessemer, Alabama.  We'd take up a few tables as we'd have Aunt's, Uncle's, and Cousins a-plenty with us.  First place I had BBQ, and will always be, in my mind at least, the best.  They ship sauce, and I've ordered it before - but it's not the same unless it's on their pork and a with a dining room full of family.  Yesterday Bob Sykes BBQ had a great spot on a Cooking channel show - if you watch, they're in the 2nd half (about 13:00).  Makes me want to road trip to Alabama just to have a bbq pork sandwich.  But I take mine with slaw!

*** Link Here ***

mmmmmm  enjoyed that and baked a pan of bacon as a result...  We have Little Richards here with a drive through and I bring that home weekly for my salads. :love3:

"That's the power of pork! Have I told you I love you?" Finished with a sweet head touch. :love3: ♥♥♥♥♥

• Bj1 likes this

Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.

#825 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:23 PM

mmmmmm  enjoyed that and baked a pan of bacon as a result...  We have Little Richards here with a drive through and I bring that home weekly for my salads. :love3:

"That's the power of pork! Have I told you I love you?" Finished with a sweet head touch. :love3: ♥♥♥♥♥

My father was one of 11 kids.  They all had husbands/wives.  All had at least one kid.  Needless to say the family was fairly big.  They're all gone now - even the first cousins.  One of my father's brothers and his wife had a home (originally a log cabin, remodeled into a proper home) on the Warrior river, and every family reunion it'd fill up to overflowing with family.  I remember fans everywhere trying to shoo the heat.  Groups would gather on the porch, in the living room, and in the kitchen - I'd bounce around listening to the grown up conversations.  Then I'd go outside with the cousins and play in the shallows.  Every morning my Aunt would fix breakfast - All I remember is the huge cast iron skillet half full of bacon grease that she used to [deep] fry eggs.  I'm certain that her food was the start of my arteries clogging!  But it was so good - and made even better because my Aunt never wore her teeth and she always cracked me up.  Trying to figure out what she was saying was a task almost impossible to accomplish (thick Alabama drawl + no teeth = WTF did you say?????).  I am just glad I was ignorant of the degree of bigotry each of them carried for as long as I was.  I think I was around 14 when I saw where another Aunt's maid lived (her name was Eddie Mae; a big, soft, black woman who loved to hug).  The roof was corrugated aluminum.  That was when I started to see the flaws and ugliness.  But I have the good memories, and they can still bring a smile to my face.

#826 ChadCox

ChadCox

Remembering Keo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:25 PM

My father was one of 11 kids.  ... But I have the good memories, and they can still bring a smile to my face.

I had three "old maid aunts", I've mentioned on here before. Aunt Carrie, Aunt Crawley and Aunt Sarah. They lived together until their deaths in their late 80's. One of them had a son out of wed lock named Fred who lived on their farm in a mobile home out back. He played guitar and was always willing to play for visitors. Fred convinced his mom and aunts to let him build them a bathroom in the house which Aunt Crawley refused. She still used her chamber and took it out to the outhouse everyday. Anyhoo, she had a pet squirrel and left her window cracked an inch or so and that squirrel would come in the house and lay on her bed! Fred would play the guitar and the squirrel would come out the window onto the porch to find Aunt Crawley for the corn in her apron pocket. I never heard a cross word out of any of that bunch of characters.

I loved reading your story about your capacity to appreciate and love the good without ignoring the ugly. I witnessed similar as my grandfather was the oldest of 13 and the annual family gatherings were always eventful, lots of hide and go seek in the dark; many, many years of making homemade sausage after a hog killing; and there was always music. I remember my grandmother complaining about her "maid" Lucy drinking out of her favorite coffee cup and ruining it. And my grandmother was such a sweet woman. Of course, Lucy was gold too and I was, as early as third grade, in love with her grandson, my friend named Fred as well.

:love3:

Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.

#827 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

Eddie Mae raised my cousin, and they treated her like dirt.  She was one of those amazing people who was both warm and cuddly as well as strong.  When she pulled you in close and wrapped her arm around you, you knew you were safe from the world.  She was the only reason I ever wanted to go to their house, from as far back as I can remember.  And that's a LONG time!

I can't even imagine using a chamber pot and an outhouse!  The pet squirrel I'd like though :)  Our family wasn't into music at all.  They all prefered talking - there was a constant buzz going on somewhere, and the noise of kids always filled the empty spaces in the background.  Probably why I enjoy sitting alone on the beach, just listening to the waves and no human voices.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users