12 replies to this topic

#1 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

Hopefully one of you technowizards can help with a minor issue that I've got occurring.  I'm in the process of converting old VHS tapes to digital format and then archiving the resulting file to a flash drive.  However,  regardless of which size flash drive I utilize (16GB, 32GB, 8GB) I keep getting the message "The file *******.mpg is too large for the destination file system".  Now, one the files is 6.3 gigs, another is 8.5 gigs and a third is 8.4 gigs; so all but the last two should fit on any one of the three drives listed.  But I keep getting that annoying message :bad PC:   Any solutions or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

My mind is software; I will reprogram it.
My body is a shell; I will modify it.
Death is a disease; I will cure it.
Extinction is ever-looming; I will fight it.

#2 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

How are the flash drives formatted?  If I remember correctly, FAT32 doesn't allow files over 4gb.  You'd want NTFS or similar that allows larger files.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

#3 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

I just opened the vacuum pack, removed the flash drive, plugged it into my USB and away she went  :)   No formatting required or needed

#4 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Did you check to see how it had been formatted (it has to have been formatted, if not by you then by the manafacturer)?  I'm pretty sure some of the ones I have came formatted FAT32 to be backwards compatible.

You can reformat as NTFS and then try to copy.

#5 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:39 PM

yep, reformat will solve this...

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#6 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:16 PM

Thanks BJ and Chad. . .that certainly solved the problem.  :hugs:   I am curious, though, why there are 2 different format versions.  Obviously, the drive was formatted at the factory as FAT32, but nowhere on the packaging does it mention that. What's the difference between FAT32 and NTFS?

• Bj1 likes this

#7 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

BTW - Just realized that this thread should have gone in the Tool Shed section of these forums, not the outhouse  :lol:   So, Tyler, when you get a chance, would you please move this thread over there? :love3:

#8 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

You are welcome :)

There are several different formatting methods for Microsoft operating systems, and then more for Apple, Unix, Linux, etc.  The reason so many are in place is that in the early days hard drive space was at a premium and drives were small.  No one could imagine single files taking up 4 gig of space (remember, floppies?  360k total!, 180k on each side!).  So the formatting was done in a way to minimize the amount of space needed for the file allocation table (as well as files).  As time went by, drives had more room and programmers wanted to do more things in the file allocation table (longer file names and security features, for example), so changes were made to accommodate - and backwards compatibility was maintained so people could transition slowly.  That 5.25 inch floppy drive can STILL be connected to your computer and it will work.

Another reason a manufacturer would format a thumb drive as FAT32 is that you may not be using it with a computer.  You might be putting it in a television, or video gaming system, or smart device.  These items may not be able to read/write NTFS.

So long story short, here's an article about the differences  :)   https://www.howtogee...exfat-and-ntfs/

#9 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info, BJ.  And, yes, I do remember floppy drives. . .going back to the old 8" disks  :blink2: , then the 5" disks that worked on 286 systems which IIRC held about 640kb of data, then the 3 1/2" floppys, which held 1.2 megs (and then the 2.8 megs which never caught on  :)  ).  By then CD's became popular, then the flash drives and removable hard drives we have today.  With computer hard drives are reaching the petabyte stage, who knows where we'll end up  :confused5:

#10 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:51 PM

I remember backing up data to tape and 5.25 discs. Then again, I finished my first degree on a 1928 Royal typewriter.  Just an aside, flash drives can go bad far more easily than many realize. So anything valuable stored there should also be backed up to the cloud if possible.

RoyalO-Sstd.jpg

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users