#11 zonato

zonato

ZONATO -- Under Construction....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

Nothing to do with weather.

I just heard last night that Arizona is the fastest growing state in the US, in terms of population.

Wait, maybe that does have to do with the weather. :confused5:

I think the two things are related. ;)

And it isn't necessarily a good thing to live in the fastest growing state. Highways seem to come years after subdivisions. (and right now there is a cement shortage because of so many houses being built).
I have learned to never say never. There are fun new things to experience.

#12 Navy

Navy

Burgers anyone?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:41 PM

And the only place in the US where an the same interstate highway (I-10) is known by two different names - "Maricopa Freeway" or "Papago Freeway" - depending on what side of the "Mini-Stack" you are on. Just WTF is a mini stack? A pile of pancakes in the middle of the road?! :lol:
user posted image

You can play the game and you can act out the part, though you know it wasn't written for you . . . James Taylor

#13 zonato

zonato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:02 PM

The "Stack" is the knot of flyovers where I-10 crosses I-17 near McDowell Road and 24th Avenue. The "ministack" is the smaller knot where I-10 splits into Arizona 51 and Loop 202. Have no idea why they started calling it that.

Here is a link for a pic of the ministack. It is basically an intersection of highways

ministack

The names get worse

The 202, for instance is the Red Mountain Freeway, the Santan Freeway and the South Mountain Freeway, depending on where you are.

Loop 101 is the Agua Fria Freeway, the Pima Freeway and the Price Freeway.

U.S. 60 is the Superstition Freeway.

#14 Roamer1

Roamer1

My cute butler "massages" me. Mmmm.....!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
Peace.

#15 Navy

Navy

Burgers anyone?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

Well thanks for that mr zona-man. I was flipping through the channels on my XM radio one afternoon on my long and boring ride home and happened upon the Phoenix traffic station - so I listened for a minute and got totally confused - with what seemed to be the same highways with different names, and topping it off was "the ministack". I couldn't imagine what they were talking about. You've just cleared it up - a little, anyway. Traffic in Phoenix sounds rough - probably no worse than what we put up with here I suppose.
user posted image

You can play the game and you can act out the part, though you know it wasn't written for you . . . James Taylor

#16 zonato

zonato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

You get what you pay for. And our roads are all free (no tolls). And you can guess what happens when you live in the fastest growing area of the country --- lots and lots of cars. The different names for the same highway number is actually helpful when listening to traffic reports. It gives you an idea of what section of the road they are talking about.

#17 Scott

Scott

You want some of this??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,930 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

Ohio has a turnpike, but I don't have any reason to drive on it because it's not really anywhere near me and I don't go anyplace that I would need to use it to get there. I just pay to drive in New York to visit my sister because I-90 through New York state is their toll road. <_<
If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?

#18 Navy

Navy

Burgers anyone?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

Come to think of it - how the hell did we go from "Gee - isn't the weather rather strange" to traffic and roads? Oh wait - I think some guy named "navy" had something to do with it . . . . :ph34r:
user posted image

#19 LDLSS54

LDLSS54

I shop at Bloomingdales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

:lol: isnt conversation great you can just go all over the place :)

#20 Sunshine

Sunshine

my butler oogles tyler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:19 AM

that mini stack kinda reminds me of what the roads in pittsburgh look like!!
COCK IS COCK WHETHER GAY, BI OR STR8!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users