7 replies to this topic

#1 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

If you ever reach that point in your life where you might consider moving into a senior apartment community, let me caution you that there is a price to pay besides the cheap rent. :rolleyes: Most of them are subsidized by an agency of the government, and consequently there is a mountain of red tape to go through just to qualify to move in. If I would have known all that ahead of time I think I would have looked elsewhere. Anyway, I survived the extremely long and maticulous application process (I think it would be easier to get into the FBI or CIA! :lol: ) and finally got moved in. That hasn't been the end of it, though. The management is constantly being ultra picky about everything from how and where you park your car, to having periodic apartment inspections to see that your furniture is placed properly and that you meet their housekeeping standards. Each time your lease period is up (mine is annually) you must make an appointment at the office to once again show that you are still qualified to be a resident. This "requalifying" isn't quite as complicated as the original, but it is an irritation nevertheless. My time for that came today, and it took about half an hour to sign and initial a mountain of papers about an inch thick. During this process they discovered I have a pet (Scooter) which I told them of when I moved in, but somehow they had neglected to collect a $250 pet deposit at that time (2 years ago!), so now I had to fork over that deposit today. Ken says that it is all worth it since the ultra cheap rent has allowed me to pay off many of my debts and get money ahead too. Just the same, if I had known all of this ahead of time I'm sure I would be living somewhere else now. <_< Cat

#2 Scott

Scott

You want some of this??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,880 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have an aunt that lives in a place like that. You're only allowed to park in certain places if you are a visitor, so I remember having to park on the other side of the complex every time I went to visit her. <_<
If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?

#3 Patrick

Patrick

My Butler Likes a man with a bush...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hell I live in a new townhouse (rental) community and they are like that and it is not even senior. I cannot remove their window treatments (miniblinds) I paid a $300 pet fee (for Bella) but it is refundable when I leave if the floors are not scratched. I pay $10 month extra in rent which is not refunable for Bella as well. I have to park in a certain place and I cannot decorate my balconies unless the association approves of the decorations (I guess my masterbating scarecrow is out this Halloween :D ). They claim they dont do inspections but I know they do because the woman that cleans for me told me she was upstairs cleaning my bedroom and she came down to find a maintenance person in my living room nearly frightened her to death. He told her he was there to do perventative maintenance but she didnt think so. I questioned the office about it and she made up some feeble story that he was checking the AC filters. Too bad he did not have any with him at the time. I told her I wanted them to make an appointment with me for all maintenance because I was concerned about Bella getting out. It is a beautiful place top of the line everything, never been lived in so I guess I will live with their rules. I am only here until June (when my lease ends) then I will have a place of my own. I am really lucky. My house has only been on the market two weeks and it is already under contract we close in the 25th! I was really thinking it would have been at least 6 months to a year but no, right away so I am very happy. I am house hunting now and hope I will find something before June. I will be happy to be away from all the rules and regulations.
Life is short ~ Dance Naked ~ And Wiggle Your Ass!!!

#4 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think the management of this senior apartment community must lie awake nights trying to think up new requirements to hassle us with. Not only are they constantly reminding us about parking permits, parking in the right places, and where guests are allowed to park, but now they are requiring us to furnish information about our car registration and insurance. I've never heard of such information being required by any landlord!! To me that should be the domain of the DMV and law enforcement only!! Of course all that stuff is complete and up to date on my car, but still I feel it's none of their damn business, and I have half a notion to tell them so!!  :angry2:

Cat

#5 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

What did I tell you??? We residents just received a new notice of a change in the pet policy. We are now required to furnish a photo of our pet(s), it's name, and a copy of it's shot record. A sticker will be furnished to pet residences to be put in an outside window. Further regulations and admonishes were listed pertaining to dog owners regarding leashes and waste disposal, etc., but that does not pertain to me. Pets are not allowed to be on patios or balconies unless attended. A form has been furnished pertaining to all this to be filled out, dated, and signed by the resident. I'm surprised it doesn't have to be notarized! You'd think a community for seniors would be trying to make life more easy and pleasant for residents in their golden years, instead of constantly harassing them with threats, inspections, and nit picky regulations!  I'd like to move out, but at this point in time I just don't have the strength or energy <_<

Cat

#6 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

It could be worse.  You could have pink eye.

No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

#7 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Your comments are always appreciated, Bj1. <_<

#8 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л