9 replies to this topic

#1 JoelR

JoelR

I shop at Walmart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

I'm curious if anyone on TR has any thoughts about the shutdown of Parler, a far right social media platform? 

#2 Scott

Scott

You want some of this??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:55 PM

I personally think it's hilarious. Parler was started by people that didn't like being censored on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Trump supporters flocked to it in droves because they figured they could get away with their usual antics.....slamming Democrats, praising their "president" plotting social unrest.....whatever it is they like to do on social media. Now they're all crying foul because it was shut down.  :lol:

If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?

#3 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:49 AM

I mention the US Constitution only because I heard there was an uproar about "free speech" when Amazon (and others) ended its relationship with Parler.

Amendment I

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

As can be seen, this article applies specifically to CONGRESS.  Businesses and citizens are free to decide to whom they provide a platform.

When the companies that Parler used to provide its services pulled the proverbial plug, it may have put Parler at a temporary disadvantage.  Perhaps it will turn out to be permanent.  But that does not mean Parler is without options.  There are other companies who may not have the same issues with their operations.  There are Russian oligarchs and Chinese billionaires out there who, I'm guessing, would love to have a finger in a Parler pie.  And even if Parler itself is gone, there will always be something else that takes it's place to give evil a voice.

Parler v 1.0 gone.  Parler v 2.0 arrives (and might even use the same companies who yanked Parler v 1.0).  Money talks, and stupid people will throw theirs at every huckster that comes along.

Pretty much the extent of my thoughts on the subject.

I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours - Lewis Carroll

#4 ChadCox

ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

Services. Not free. Fuck their speech.

Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.

#5 fasteddy

fasteddy

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:58 AM

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

#6 Tyler

Tyler

I miss you Bandit.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:48 PM

Speech and silence. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth.

The quieter you become the more you are able to hear. - Rumi

Remembering Pastol.

pastol.jpg

#7 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:07 PM

Speech and silence. We feel safer with a madman who talks than with one who cannot open his mouth.

The quieter you become the more you are able to hear. - Rumi

There is absolutely nothing that says anyone, or any company, is compelled to give voice to a platform that it does not agree with.  There is a BIG difference in preventing someone from speaking and from giving them a megaphone.

I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours - Lewis Carroll

#8 fasteddy

fasteddy

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:35 PM

There is absolutely nothing that says anyone, or any company, is compelled to give voice to a platform that it does not agree with.  There is a BIG difference in preventing someone from speaking and from giving them a megaphone.

But when they establish a virtual monopoly to internet access with an indisputable tilt to the left they become a modern day Standard Oil and abuse their monopoly.  Valid agendas don't need to have their critics censored.  To attempt to do so is an insulting assumption of ignorance of the readers and public at larges ability to discern truth from fiction.  Their excesses have made them one vote in Congress from being regulated and controlled, an even worse situation than we have now. 

#9 Tyler

Tyler

I miss you Bandit.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

I couldn't agree more.

Remembering Pastol.

pastol.jpg

#10 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

But when they establish a virtual monopoly to internet access with an indisputable tilt to the left they become a modern day Standard Oil and abuse their monopoly.  Valid agendas don't need to have their critics censored.  To attempt to do so is an insulting assumption of ignorance of the readers and public at larges ability to discern truth from fiction.  Their excesses have made them one vote in Congress from being regulated and controlled, an even worse situation than we have now. 

Bullshit.  Amazon isn't the only company that provides web services, it's just a very big one.  Absolutely nothing is preventing Parler from contracting with a company that might be sympathetic or apathetic to its cause, OR from hosting its own platform.  And if you think Amazon has 'an indisputable tilt to the left' then you need to live in Seattle for a while. Typical right wing "I said it so now it's true" rhetoric.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users