32 replies to this topic

#11 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Every new version of Windows, from the very beginning of Windows, has moved closer and closer to being your grandma's version. With all due respect to Grandma's everywhere, there are some that are light-years ahead of me and any OS, but I think you know what I mean. The idea that we all use the PC for e-mail and solitaire and don't even need to see anything "behind the scenes" prevails. Slowly the different functionalities have melted away. In some cases even the customer facing applications have lost abilities. Remember how you once could edit music and movies with WMP? Windows 10 is no exception. It's like the difference between opening the hood of a 1967 Camaro and a 2016 Camaro.

Having said that (for the millionth time, sorry) I have found Windows 10 to be probably the best OS that Windows has ever produced. Clearly thought out and all of the horrible horrible mistakes made in Vista and 8 overridden with functionality that works for everyone. The one thing that bugs me more than anything else is that I need to open Windows Explorer to what to me is an obscure useless window, THEN click on "This PC" to bring up what used to be the old "My Computer" window. I put a This PC tile on the touch screen desktop to avoid that, but it just seems WRONG to me.

That brings up a point that you might, or might not, find useful if you have not looked into this already. If you're using Windows 10, bring  up your settings screen and click on the "Personalization" option. If you turn on the "Use Start full screen" option it will detach those tiles from the program/app list. This will make it look more like the old Windows. I don't know why they made the tiles attached as the default. All it does it duplicate some of what is on the programs list. Turning the full start screen on also gives you 2 desktops that you will move back and forth from seamlessly. The tiles are handy if you have a touch screen or for favorites, but I don't want them on my Windows desktop OR showing up when I bring up the programs list. Also, for apps that don't show up in the Add/Remove Programs list, just right click (or press & hold) and a drop down will have an uninstall option. The only exception I have found to this is that stinkin' OneDrive. I don't like that they made OneDrive a default start-up program, but you can turn that little shit off too.

Otherwise, I like it a lot.

Those midwives to history put on their bloody robes

#12 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

What's interesting to me about my Windows 7 system is that I have yet to be notified by Microsoft that I can upgrade to Win 10.  Nothing in the system tray, no pop-ups, no "automatic" update, no nothin'  :confused5:  Wonder why?

Do you have any updates that you have hidden? That is the main reason most people don't get the upgrade app.

check this page: https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3081048

#13 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

My butler does my shopping

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,683 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

^^ I've checked my hidden updates and installed them.   Followed the directions in your Microsoft link; and, all updates it says are required are installed on my system.  Am running Windows 7 with SP1 and IE11 as required.  So, your link, though helpful, didn't fix the situation.  Any further suggestions, other than going to  Microsoft's website and downloading Win10 directly?

My mind is software; I will reprogram it.
My body is a shell; I will modify it.
Death is a disease; I will cure it.
Extinction is ever-looming; I will fight it.

#14 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

^^ I've checked my hidden updates and installed them.   Followed the directions in your Microsoft link; and, all updates it says are required are installed on my system.  Am running Windows 7 with SP1 and IE11 as required.  So, your link, though helpful, didn't fix the situation.  Any further suggestions, other than going to  Microsoft's website and downloading Win10 directly?

That would have been my only next suggestion. I'd do it if I were you. You might give the automatic update process a day or two. When I was not getting the invite on my PC and ended up doing a reload which finally fixed it, it took a couple of days.

#15 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,683 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thanks, Pastol :hugs:

#16 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

I have been contemplating upgrading my simple flip style cell phone to to a regular smart phone. I am currently using T-Mobile for my service, and I see they have a phone on their site that on the surface seems like it may be ideal for someone like me. It's called the Alcatel One Touch Fierce XL . It has a large 5.5 inch screen (easier for me to see) and unlike so many other smart phones it uses Windows 10 for it's OS. My question is that since I'm more familiar with a Windows OS, would that make it simpler & easier for me to operate??  I have "played around" with Ken's Apple iphone and found it very confusing and complicated to operate. Any recommendations??

#17 Smokeshadow

Smokeshadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,683 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Long story short. . .last Saturday when I went into the study to boot my Windows 7 computer, it would only boot to the "Starting Windows" screen, then hang, not doing anything for 5 or 10 minutes.  Then it would load the start-up recovery routines.  I let them run, which resulted in a reset which re-booted the computer.  Same results.  Computer booted  to the "Starting Windows" scree,  then hang.  So, I did a cold re-start and did a safe boot of Windows, which worked OK.  So I shut the whole system down until Monday morning when I was able to run it over to the local computer repair place and left it with their technicians.  Took them 3 days to figure out what was causing the problems.  Had to replace the graphics card and some minor repairs to the motherboard. :bad PC:  :bad PC:  :bad PC:  :bad PC:  :bad PC:

Anyway, I picked up the computer Thursday afternoon, got it home and everything was working properly except that I had to re-install my Norton 360 security program, which resulted in me having to remember all of my user names and passwords for all the sites that I visit.  Talk about headaches :bang:  Then, I finally got the Microsoft notice to install Windows 10, which I scheduled for 11 pm last night.  Got up this morning to a "brand new" Windows 10 computer.  Am still getting used to it's idiosyncrasies.  Then I get a blurb from Norton that my current Norton 360 isn't compatible with Windows 10 (what else is new :biggrin: ) and had to upgrade that software.  Then, to activate the upgraded software, I had to input a 25 character product key, of which I have no record of :rolleyes:, so I get online with Symantic and get one of their tech support people to work with me to get the problem solved.  Takes about an hour and they have to un-install and re-install Norton 360 and I now have a record of the 25 character product key for future reference :bounce: 

Anyway, a couple of things I miss from Windows 7. . .the Hearts card game and the Chess Titans game that were a quick time-waster while waiting for a program to install or other time consuming computer activity.  Oh, well.  Could be worse :typing:

#18 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:20 AM

I've been wondering how the move to 10 was going for you. Sounds like it's all good now. Open the Windows store and do a search for "Hearts Deluxe." I've tried several of them an that one is the one that worked best for me as a replacement for the MS game.

Good luck!

#19 Scott

Scott

You want some of this??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,912 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a big headache!  :o

If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?

#20 pastol

pastol

Supersexual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,801 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like a big headache!  :o

https://youtu.be/waEC-8GFTP4?t=29s

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic