ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:23 AM

Was waiting to hear from you on this one. :love3:

• Bj1 likes this

Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.

#552 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:26 PM

Seattle gets its fair share of earthquakes, so I'm never too concerned when I hear about one.  I forget that unreinforced stucco and brick doesn't fare well in an earthquake, nor do the structures where the builders cut a few corners.  And that's a LOT of buildings in México.  Thankfully damage was small.  September, historically, is earthquake month for México, so keep that in mind if you want to visit México City!  

I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours - Lewis Carroll

#553 ChadCox

ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:27 PM

Seattle gets its fair share of earthquakes, so I'm never too concerned when I hear about one.  I forget that unreinforced stucco and brick doesn't fare well in an earthquake, nor do the structures where the builders cut a few corners.  And that's a LOT of buildings in México.  Thankfully damage was small.  September, historically, is earthquake month for México, so keep that in mind if you want to visit México City!  

when are the seasons there btw?  I like traveling in late fall and early winter. Of course, as you may remember, traveling for me is usually within four hours of home. LOL :love3:

• Bj1 likes this

#554 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:27 PM

when are the seasons there btw?  I like traveling in late fall and early winter. Of course, as you may remember, traveling for me is usually within four hours of home. LOL :love3:

Which part of México?

Mazatlán, and almost any city on the pacific coast, has basically two seasons.  From late October until early June it's warm and sunny.  The ocean is cool and the beer is cold.  From mid-June until late October it's a steam oven.  Think Houston on steroids.  Beer is still cold, so it's tolerable!  :)  And this is our rainy season.  Rain usually comes during the night, and it pours for an hour.  Hurricanes usually start around August/September and go to early November.  Most of the time they just travel up and away.  We get a little rain.  Cabo might get a glancing blow.  Once every 10 years one hits nearby.  Once every 20 years one hits here.  The 'high season' for tourists is between late-October and May.  Keep in mind that the heat can (and did last year) continue through November - so if you can't tolerate hot and humid, December - February would be your best months.

Places at a higher elevation like México City experience cold in fall/winter.  It snows in some places.  Summer in these places is usually great - high 70's/low 80's, sunny, and the rain comes for an hour in the late afternoon.  Spring is a good time to visit too, but you need to dress warmly - especially at night.  Fall/winter you'd need to bring only warm clothes, and maybe a coat.

September is historically the month that México experiences earthquakes.  Usually hit in central México, at least latitudinally.  And they can be anything from 'I didn't even feel it' to 'buildings came down everywhere'.  Think Los Angeles, or even Seattle.

Flights from North Carolina to México City are only about 6 hours long.  So a little over your 'four hours from home', but not all that much.  Acapulco (or Puerto Vallarta) would be another 60-90 minute hop from there.  But really, if you consider the travelling as part of the vacation then it's all a good adventure that starts quickly.  That's the way I think of it, so my only travel time is getting from my home to the airport/bus station/ship.

Still in my Puerto Vallarta timeshare for a week with an empty bedroom (I sleep on the nice hard couch)!  It's 30 Oct - 6 Nov, so the weather is cooling off and not a lot of tourists have arrived!  You and yours are welcome to join if you're so inclined!  Puerto Vallarta is one of those really beautiful coastal towns - jungle covered mountains to the ocean, warm water, great food and people.  Just too touristy for me full time.  And Puerto Vallarta is the San Francisco of México, very gay friendly and lots of gay cabaret shows, clubs, bars, excursions, ...  [I could even be persuaded to share the room in Acapulco - I don't think there's privacy, but there are supposed to be two separate beds (I'm a toss and turn sleeper).  That's 13 November to 19 November.  Acapulco is a lot like Puerto Vallarta, but the city is over a million, so jungle isn't a big player there].

I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours - Lewis Carroll

#555 ChadCox

ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:19 PM

Which part of México?

Mazatlán, and almost any city on the pacific coast, has basically two seasons.  From late October until early June it's warm and sunny.  The ocean is cool and the beer is cold.  From mid-June until late October it's a steam oven.  Think Houston on steroids.  Beer is still cold, so it's tolerable!  :)  And this is our rainy season.  Rain usually comes during the night, and it pours for an hour.  Hurricanes usually start around August/September and go to early November.  Most of the time they just travel up and away.  We get a little rain.  Cabo might get a glancing blow.  Once every 10 years one hits nearby.  Once every 20 years one hits here.  The 'high season' for tourists is between late-October and May.  Keep in mind that the heat can (and did last year) continue through November - so if you can't tolerate hot and humid, December - February would be your best months.

Places at a higher elevation like México City experience cold in fall/winter.  It snows in some places.  Summer in these places is usually great - high 70's/low 80's, sunny, and the rain comes for an hour in the late afternoon.  Spring is a good time to visit too, but you need to dress warmly - especially at night.  Fall/winter you'd need to bring only warm clothes, and maybe a coat.

September is historically the month that México experiences earthquakes.  Usually hit in central México, at least latitudinally.  And they can be anything from 'I didn't even feel it' to 'buildings came down everywhere'.  Think Los Angeles, or even Seattle.

Flights from North Carolina to México City are only about 6 hours long.  So a little over your 'four hours from home', but not all that much.  Acapulco (or Puerto Vallarta) would be another 60-90 minute hop from there.  But really, if you consider the travelling as part of the vacation then it's all a good adventure that starts quickly.  That's the way I think of it, so my only travel time is getting from my home to the airport/bus station/ship.

Still in my Puerto Vallarta timeshare for a week with an empty bedroom (I sleep on the nice hard couch)!  It's 30 Oct - 6 Nov, so the weather is cooling off and not a lot of tourists have arrived!  You and yours are welcome to join if you're so inclined!  Puerto Vallarta is one of those really beautiful coastal towns - jungle covered mountains to the ocean, warm water, great food and people.  Just too touristy for me full time.  And Puerto Vallarta is the San Francisco of México, very gay friendly and lots of gay cabaret shows, clubs, bars, excursions, ...  [I could even be persuaded to share the room in Acapulco - I don't think there's privacy, but there are supposed to be two separate beds (I'm a toss and turn sleeper).  That's 13 November to 19 November.  Acapulco is a lot like Puerto Vallarta, but the city is over a million, so jungle isn't a big player there].

Nice run down Brett! Of course you won't hear of me doing ANY traveling until this C19 shit is under much better control. My dad is 79 going on 89 and far too dependent but hey, I would not hesitate to visit given the right circumstance! I am the type to enjoy the travel itself as part of the vacay but for now it's staycay or nocay. :love3:

#556 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Nice run down Brett! Of course you won't hear of me doing ANY traveling until this C19 shit is under much better control. My dad is 79 going on 89 and far too dependent but hey, I would not hesitate to visit given the right circumstance! I am the type to enjoy the travel itself as part of the vacay but for now it's staycay or nocay. :love3:

I don't have many 'adventurous' friends who like to travel, so it's completely within the realm of possibilities that the offer will still be open in future years.  Of course, family comes first!  I'll post pics so you can at least enjoy vicariously.

#557 ChadCox

ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

I don't have many 'adventurous' friends who like to travel, so it's completely within the realm of possibilities that the offer will still be open in future years.  Of course, family comes first!  I'll post pics so you can at least enjoy vicariously.

:devilbanana: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :larouxlick: :devilbanana:

• Bj1 likes this

#558 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:45 PM

***link here***

#559 ChadCox

ChadCox

Bitch Please!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:28 PM

Watching a bear sitting on the beach with a papaya in his hand. hmmmm

What a lovely place to spend a morning!

The new camera is clearly working great.

That walk was pretty, but no eye candy this time!

Seems like there'd be more foot traffic. ??  :love3:

• Bj1 likes this

#560 Bj1

Bj1

Я заманил л

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:06 PM

Watching a bear sitting on the beach with a papaya in his hand. hmmmm

What a lovely place to spend a morning!

The new camera is clearly working great.

That walk was pretty, but no eye candy this time!

Seems like there'd be more foot traffic. ??  :love3:

Thanks :)  The beach I go to is rarely busy before 11 am, and I can just kick back for a couple of hours and zone watching the waves and drinking a beer or two.  I leave when it starts to get busy for a few reasons ... two beers is about my limit unless I'm planning on wobbling home :)  And by the time other people arrive, I've finished my food and am just sitting doing nothing - the staff at the restaurant I go to very likely appreciate that I let them have the table for a new customer or four.  Now, when I'm on 'vacation' I will sit for 5 hours ... like when I was in Puerto Escondido last year.  Kindle in one hand beer/botanas in the other!

As to why not so many people on my walk?  Tourist season for the Méxican nationals is pretty much over.  Kids are back to school and the snow-birds won't arrive for another month.  And it's still hot as fuck - 90 f. and high humidity.  So not a lot of people wandering around during the day.  We do have the Carnival Panorama cruise ship docking on Wednesdays, but hardly any tourists are getting off that aren't on a big bus tour.   Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights though - once the sun goes down TONS of locals are at the Olas Altas area walking on the malecón and eating tostilocos.  Sometimes I'm one of them!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users