8 replies to this topic

#1 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

With my AT&T U-verse cable TV service is now costing me $105/Mo. (not including internet service), Ken has been urging me to replace my cable TV service with other internet apps that provide live TV.  So far the app for Sling is the only one that has been suggested, but after reviewing the channels that Sling offers I can see that it doesn't provide all the channels I want and/or need.  Are there other live TV apps that may provide a wider selection of channels??  OR......perhaps a combination of apps for special types of channels (??). If there is anyone here on the forum who has replaced their cable service with other types of service I would appreciate any recommendations you might have. :wink: :)

#2 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

Although there are other players trying to take advantage of this trend, so far Sling seems to be the major player. After checking lots of articles and reviews on Sling as to just what it offers and what it doesn't, I've decided not to cancel my cable channels for it.........at least not yet at this time. I may reconsider at some point in the future if the channel lineup improves, and if I can be confident that the video quality will match or better that of my U-verse channels. Reviews indicate video quality is on par with cable channels, but that's a vague statement since cable channels vary in quality. At no point have I seen reference made that Sling channels are HD. I especially need full access to all my live football games in the Fall, and at this point this seems very doubtful. Ken keeps urging me to at least take the 7 day free trial, but at this point I've decided to wait to see just what develops in this area. I'll update later if developments warrant. :wink: :)

#3 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

This topic was started by me back in 2016, but as you can see it never generated much interest here. Times and conditions do change, however, so I thought perhaps it might be more relevant now. Hulu and Sling still seem to dominate the discussion, but other similar internet TV services are now providing competition. Perhaps not the cheapest of these, but with more channels to offer is Playstation Vue  (no you do' not have to have a Playtation  gane box). I am currently paying $112 per month just for my AT&T Uverse TV service alone (regular cable service), while I could get about 100 channels including HBO & Cinemax on Playstation Vue  for just about $75 per mo. Of course subscription rates can increase , but I'm getting increases from AT&T now anyway. I suppose it might be wise to give it a trial period first to see how it goes.........I might miss some of the functions  on my Uverse remote since I would be wholly dependent on the net for TV watching.   Anyway, since "cutting the cable" seems to be gaining in popularity these days, I thought perhaps interest may have grown here for a revisit to the topic. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.  

#4 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

The topic is of interest but we've so few "regulars" and even fewer visiting commenters for a subject. For myself, I have a very clear and uncontested favor for broadband cable internet. To date, this is only available if you also subscribe to cable tv. My provider Spectrum has just this year begun embedding the marketing direction of "internet service only" and I imagine it is simply a matter of time before they'll be more overt and ask people to use them for internet even if they do not want the tv channel service. The fact that Android, Apple and Amazon TV are all continuing to spread and grow along with a large array of other tv service providers combined with the HUGE black market of codes to hack a firestick, et. al., to get ALL available channels with products like Kodi is a ground swell of evidence supporting my theory.

My cable went from the $99 intro for "everything" including tv, phone and internet climbed to $140 before I shut it down and used my 4G LTE exclusively long enough to qualify for a return to cable as a "new customer" for $99 deal. Even without the cable, the cable modem internet service will remain at least a $40-50/month expense. Add any other channel service and there's a minimum $20 added on with serious channel limitations. Broaden that option to about a $40 expense of more selection and you're right back at the $100/mo range.

I choose not to use the black market or related culture (any longer) so I'll continue to endure the $100/mo average cable with my amazon prime and netflix streaming and lay in wait, observant and interested, but likely silent...because I'd prefer to saying nothing at all than once again entertain discussing a matter that results in cortisol release therefore sabotaging the work of "least stress healing" I follow for my health.

It remains a bit of a rabbit hole. :love3:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#5 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

I see what you mean, ChadCox (not really :wink: :biggrin:), the whole subject IS kinda confusing, and while I might save a few dollars per month by switching to a service like Playstation Vue, the question is "Is it really worth switching for???"  Besides, it's hard for this old dog to learn new tricks, so I think I would be better off just staying with what I have. I WOULD like a faster internet speed, and I think AT&T could provide it for a price. I'll keep that in mind, but wait to see if I really need it. <_<   I'll take it up with Ken to see what he thinks.

#6 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

BTW, like every thing else now-a-days, you can always find reviews of it on YouTube or elsewhere on the  net.  One important factor that seems to get overlooked is picture quality.  A YouTube comparison video of internet TV services indicates that NONE of these alternatives give you the same picture quality of regular cable TV.   If I can't get 1080P (or even 4K) on these channels then NONE of them will be watchable for me!!  <_<

#7 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Update:

Hmmm.........it seems I might have been jumping to conclusions regarding TV picture quality on streaming services vs regular cable tv.  Research indicates that picture quality on streaming channels is just as good , and in some cases even better, than cable TV. Hardware differences can effect picture quality too, I suppose. Anyway, I'm tempted to give Playstation Vue a trial to see how it works for me. As a precaution I can always keep my cable service until I decide which suits me better. Since I'll have 2 PCs working at the same time I could leave cable service on the old PC and put PS Vue on the new one........then compare. :wink: :)   Also, an internet speed increase from AT&T should make a big difference.

#8 ChadCox

ChadCox

Long Suffering Left Hook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

Update:

Hmmm.........it seems I might have been jumping to conclusions regarding TV picture quality on streaming services vs regular cable tv.  Research indicates that picture quality on streaming channels is just as good , and in some cases even better, than cable TV. Hardware differences can effect picture quality too, I suppose. Anyway, I'm tempted to give Playstation Vue a trial to see how it works for me. As a precaution I can always keep my cable service until I decide which suits me better. Since I'll have 2 PCs working at the same time I could leave cable service on the old PC and put PS Vue on the new one........then compare. :wink: :)   Also, an internet speed increase from AT&T should make a big difference.

I'd like to see the results if this route is taken. :love3:

animated_background_b1.gifLife's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection.animated_background_b1.gif

#9 Catman

Catman

Catman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Did you notice??.........now YouTube is launching it's own "cable replacement" TV service simply called YouTube TV.  I read a review of it and on the surface it seems to have a lot of channels, but for me the format looks too cumbersome and complicated. Others may not think so, so if interested check it out. :wink: :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users